Blog to Belly: Full Protein Green Lentil Stew
We’re back with another recipe on our Blog to Belly series. We want to promote healthy recipes because diabetes doesn’t mean you can’t enjoy food. Our friend Sophie de Ville is back with another exclusive recipe and carb counting tips. Sophie is a food blogger, T1D mom, and Genteel ambassador.
Whether you’re a mom feeding picky children or just looking for a quick weeknight dinner this recipe is sure to please everyone! If you're looking to make it ahead we've inlcuded an option for crockpot cooking. We can’t wait for you to dig in!
Download the recipe card with carb information at the end of this post.
- 1/2 cup or 100g green lentils
- 7 cups or 1,680ml chicken stock
- 200g carrots
- 1 tsp rosemary
- 125g spinach
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 100g white onion
- Pepper to taste
- Good quality sausages 1 per person
I will not be adding salt since the chicken stock and the sausages both already contain salt. It is better to check and see after cooking whether you need to add any or not.
Either cook in the crockpot for 3 hours (add a cup of chicken stock) or cook for 1/2 hour on the stove.
- In a saucepan, add 3 tbsp of extra virgin olive oil and caramelize the onions by cooking them on medium heat.
- Add the tomato paste until it darkens a bit. A trick to intensify the flavor is by toasting it.
- Chop the carrots up into little cubes and add them to the pan
- Add the green lentils
- Pour the chicken stock and pepper to taste
- Either brown the sausages beforehand or put them as they are in the saucepan.
- Add the spinach
- Cook for 35 minutes or until the lentils are cooked. If using a crockpot, cook for 3 hours on high setting and 4 hours on a low setting.
- When ready to serve, scoop out one or two cups of the stew and blend it until smooth.
- Return to the soup, mix and enjoy!